From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The Dance of the Dragons was a civil war in Westeros, fought between two branches of House Targaryen. It was a war of succession, fought between elder sister Rhaenyra Targaryen and younger brother Aegon Targaryen. It was conflict that lasted from early 129 AC until halfway through 131 AC. Thousands died.
King Viserys I had been married twice. From his first marriage, he had only one surviving child: Rhaenyra. Viserys had started educating her in ruling and had proclaimed her his heir. During his second marriage, to Alicent Hightower, Viserys had four more children: Aegon, Helaena, Aemond and Daeron. Though he now did have a son to succeed him, Viserys continued to insist Rhaenyra should ascend the throne upon his death.
When Viserys eventually died in the Red Keep in 129 AC, Queen Alicent ordered the arrest of those few who knew of it, and plotted the coronation of Aegon with the small council, whilst Rhaenyra, on Dragonstone, remained unaware of her father's death. Upon the discovery her younger brother had been crowned Aegon II, the war began.
The Dance of the Dragons was a war like no other. It was a war marked by stealth, betrayal and murder. Though savage battles were fought on the ground, much of the fighting occurred on the water and in the air, because dragon fought dragon with tooth, claw and flame. The Targaryen dynasty survived and ended with the coronation of Aegon III, but the dragons were greatly reduced in number.
- "I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." – Jaime Lannister 
- "Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens." – Tywin Lannister 
- "There are no men like me. There's only me." – Jaime Lannister 
Did you know...
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 30, Jaime IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: Robert's Rebellion.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Private Meeting Santa Fe, NM (May 4, 2004)
About the Wiki
Eleven sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.